Mastering Power BI Solutions.
Paul Turley, Mentor with SolidQ, BI Architect, and Microsoft Data Platform MVP
In this Power BI hands-on Workshop, you will master the “power” of Power BI. Learn to use self-service and enterprise-scale Power BI capabilities; gain valuable skills to integrate, wrangle, shape and visualize data for analysis. Beginning and intermediate level users will learn to address data and reporting challenges with advanced design techniques.
At the conclusion of the workshop, you will have a complete solution built from real business data, shaped, cleansed & modeled; with a dashboard and interactive report visuals ready for analysis.
Modelling and shaping data using Power BI Desktop:
- Transitioning from Excel to Power BI Desktop
- Source data from a variety of platforms & formats
- Data modelling basics & best practices
- Modelling approaches with flat, normalized, star & snowflake schemas
- DAX calculation basics & fundamentals
- Need-to-know and good-to-know DAX functions & skills
- Understanding challenging DAX concepts; row & filter context, relationship cardinality & filter flow
- Advanced DAX calculations & business applications
Visualizing and analyzing business data using Power BI Desktop:
- Standard report design principles & patterns
- Self-service end-user coaching
- Proper applications of filters & slicers
- Applying report visuals with cross filtering to answer business questions
- Report & dashboard design showcase
- Integrating Power BI with SSRS, Excel & SSAS
- Using R for specialized reporting, statistical & predictive analytics
- Using custom visuals for advanced & specialized reporting & analytics
Content Sharing / Administration:
- Managing published models, reports & dashboards in the Power BI service
- Working with workspaces, content packs & security roles
- Options for embedding reports & dashboards into sites & web solutions
Data Wrangling for Advanced Content:
- Connect to live and on-premises data using DirectQuery & SSAS direct connect
- Accessing advanced data sources
- Using gateways to manage live & on-premises data sources
- Manage & schedule data refresh
- Query design best practices & survival skills
- Advanced query scripting techniques using “M”/Power Query formulas
- Working with on-prem, hybrid & published solutions
Level of Expertise
For beginner and intermediate level users of Power BI.
Attendees should bring their laptops with Power BI Desktop already installed; 64-bit Windows & 8 GB of RAM (4 GB min) is recommended.
A Power BI subscription is recommended but not required.